Looking back at my preliminary task, i feel that i have progressed my media skills and become more confident throughout the different stages of production. My development of skills is very noticeable when you compare the Preliminary task to my groups final product.
A big difference between the perliminary task and our film opening was the time we had to prepare. Unlike with the preliminary task we had a lot of time to research and plan our film opening, which gave us an advantage.
A progression made between the preliminary and film opening is that we were able to include more shot types. In the preliminary task we didn't include many different shots, meaning there were less cuts. However when filming our opening we included a variety of shot types such as high/low angles meaning there were more cuts. This made our product much more interesting to watch and created more pace. Our film opening was also more interesting than the perliminary task as we confidently included match on action.
Unlike with the perliminary task, we were able to experiment with lots of different camera angles. Although some of these shots didn't make it into the final prouct, it was useful to have a lot of shots so we could choose the best ones. However, we didn't have this luxury with the perliminary task meaning we were limited with the footage we could use.
We filmed the majority of the preliminary task on a tripod, which limited movement and the range of angles we could acheive. We learnt from this, and although we did still use a tripod, we took many hand-held shots which helped to create point of view shots and more movement throughout our film opning.
We used lots of different editing techniques during the post production of our film opening. This was crucial to making our overall product look proffessional. An example of this would be our realisation of the different lighting in our footage. As we filmed in lots of different locations the lighting varied throughout, to solve this we changed the contrast levels of each clip.
However we had a similar problem during the prelimimary task, one of our scenes involved different lighting as one of the characters was stood in front of a window, and the other was stood in a darker lit area. This could be an interesting effect, but wasn't what we were looking for. We didn't have the advantage of editing this clip therefore it didn't look as proffessional as our film opening.
The credits we included in our film opening related to our theme, we put a lot of thought into this process to keep the standard of our film professional, whereas we didn't think so far into this when choosing fonts and addimg credits to our preliminary task.
Preliminary task Film opening
In the progression to our final product from our preliminary task, i have learnt to add music to the footage. Choosing the correct style of music was vital, in order to keep within our theme. Adding music gave our film more atmosphere, and overall made it look much more proffesional.